Living Our Principles
Hormel Foods Achieves Stellar Performance in Sustainability Awards and Product Rankings
In 2011, we received numerous industry awards for our products. Here are just three examples.
- Health Magazine selected Hormel® Natural Choice® cracked black pepper turkey as one of America’s Healthiest Buys;
- Progressive Grocer magazine awarded Editors’ Picks distinction to Hormel® pepperoni stix and cheese, Lloyd’s® Snack Rack St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs, Lloyd’s® Woodfire BarbequeTM pulled chicken and shredded beef brisket and Hormel® Compleats® kids meals; and
- Women’s Health Magazine’s selected Jennie-O Turkey Store® Oven ReadyTM boneless skinless turkey breast and Hormel® Always Tender® teriyaki-flavored pork loin filet among the “125 Best Packaged Foods for Women” in the meats/seafood category.
In addition to product accolades, in 2011 we were also recognized for our unwavering dedication to doing business responsibly, through honors such as:
- Being named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI) for the second consecutive year. DJSI is a highly regarded list of the world’s top 10 percent of sustainable companies based on economic, environmental and social criteria;
- Being named a finalist in Best Corporate Steward Category by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Business Civic Leadership Council’s Corporate Citizenship Awards;
- Ranking No. 30 on Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s 12th annual “100 Best Corporate Citizens List.” This is the third consecutive year Hormel Foods has been recognized, exceeding our ranking of 40th in 2009 and 2010;
- Being recognized as a finalist for the Justmeans Social Innovation Award in Best Online Report category for 2009 Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report;
- Receiving Food Engineering magazine’s “Fabulous Food Plant of 2011″ award for the Progressive Processing LLC production facility in Dubuque, Iowa; and
- Being ranked #429 (up from #442 in 2010) by Newsweek Green Rankings within the Food, Beverage and Tobacco sector.
Hormel Foods Acquires Fresherized Foods
To continually expand our diversified product portfolio, in August 2011, MegaMex Foods LLC, a joint venture between Hormel Foods Corporation and Herdez Del Fuerte, S.A. de C.V., acquired 100 percent of Fresherized Foods, the makers of Wholly Guacamole® — the lead brand of guacamole in the United States. This acquisition enhances the position of MegaMex Foods as a one-stop shop for Mexican foods.
Annual sales from the Fresherized Foods portfolio are expected to be $140 million through the Wholly Guacamole®, Wholly Salsa® and Wholly Queso® products. The purchase of the guacamole-maker is also aligned with our commitment to nutrition and industry-leading food safety standards.
Guacamole and other 100-percent real avocado products continue to grow in popularity with supermarket and restaurant consumers due to their great flavor and nutritional attributes. Fresherized Foods employs High-Pressure Processing (HPP), a U.S. Department of Agriculture approved all-natural process, to make its products. HPP uses high water pressure technology to protect the avocado product. This process implements the highest standards of food safety without adding preservatives or compromising the taste and nutritional value of the avocado.