About Hormel Foods
Based in Austin, MN, Hormel Foods is a multinational manufacturer and marketer of high quality, brand name food and meat products for consumers throughout the world.
A Balanced Business Model: Our Products
The balanced business model at Hormel Foods is a key driver for our annual growth. We insulate ourselves from ever-changing market forces through our five business segments: Grocery Products, Refrigerated Foods, Jennie-O Turkey Store, Specialty Foods and All Other. The diversity of these different businesses allows us to be successful in a variety of economic conditions.
With our products, Hormel Foods has more than 36 brands in the No. 1 market-share position.
The Grocery Products segment at Hormel Foods seeks to inspire everyday meal choices by providing simple, affordable, everyday ready-made recipes and ingredients for the home pantry. Our offerings range from products that serve as bold and flavorful ingredients as well as items that serve consumers as complete portion-controlled meals. Our more notable products and brands include Hormel® chili, the SPAM® family of products, CHI-CHI’S® products, Dinty Moore® stews, Herdez® products and La Victoria® authentic Mexican products, Wholly Guacamole® dips and sauces and Hormel® Compleats® microwave meals.
Through its Refrigerated Foods segment, Hormel Foods offers a range of raw, marinated and precooked quality protein options to fill any consumer or foodservice operator’s needs. Examples include Hormel® pepperoni minis and stix and Hormel® Always Tender® products. This division also includes our Hormel® Natural Choice® product line and Hormel® refrigerated entrees.
Jennie-O Turkey Store
Jennie-O Turkey Store continues to focus on growing sales of value-added turkey products. Our portfolio includes lean and delicious options for every meal occasion, including turkey bacon and breakfast sausages, fresh deli turkey products, turkey burgers and lean ground turkey. We aim to surprise and delight our consumers with simple ways to switch to turkey.
Our Specialty Foods segment includes Diamond Crystal Brands, Century Foods International and Hormel Specialty Products and offers high-quality products for restaurants, health care facilities and retail customers. We offer individual restaurant packets, nutritional food products, supplements and contract manufacturing.
Through partnerships around the world, we continue to introduce and grow preference for the SPAM® family of products, Stagg® chili, our microwave meal franchise and a variety of foodservice and retail products.
Many of our products have become among the best-known and trusted in the food industry, and the favorites of families everywhere. These products are sold to retail, foodservice and wholesale operations in all 50 states through a direct sales force and brokers. A list of our products can be found in our Products section. With more than 19,500 employees, Hormel Foods is owned by approximately 11,300 record stockholders and 37,500 stockholders whose shares are held in street name by brokerage firms and financial institutions. Hormel Foods common stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol HRL.
Hormel Foods International Corporation (HFIC), a wholly owned subsidiary in Austin, MN, has established joint venture and license agreements internationally, which include Australia, China, Denmark, England, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Panama, the Philippines and other nations. HFIC exports products to more than 40 countries. We follow international laws and local laws for all operations. When we enter markets outside of the United States, it is our policy to manage the operation with the same rules and procedures that we commit to in the United States, adapting to local laws as well.
In 2011, revenue for HFIC and international joint ventures accounted for approximately 4.3 percent of total company revenue. In addition to the export of the company’s signature products, HFIC manufactures a variety of product lines that meet the special needs of each local country.
Production of Hormel® branded products currently occurs in the following countries:
- United States
- United Kingdom
Awards and Affiliations
Hormel Foods endorses and requires hog producers and employees of these producers who handle hogs to be trained and certified by the National Pork Board’s Pork Quality Assurance Plus and Transport Quality Assurance programs.
The company was recognized with more than 44 awards and rankings during this reporting cycle.
- Consumer Goods Technology 2011 Visionaries – 10 Influential Leaders in Consumer Goods
- Kevin Kroymann honored
- Shopper Marketing magazine’s Who’s Who in Shopper Insights
- Ellen Kohl honored
- Shopper Marketing magazine’s Who’s Who in Shopper Marketing
- Mark Thompson honored
- Selling Power magazine’s list of the Best Companies to Sell for Now in 2011
- Hormel Foods ranked No. 9 within the manufacturing category
- Progressive Grocer Category Captains
- Category Captain Award: Hormel® pepperoni stix products for Grocery – Salty Snacks
- Category Captain Award: Hormel® Always Tender® pork and beef products, Hormel® Refrigerated Entrees, Lloyd’s Woodfire BarbequeTM premium smoked meats and Lloyd’s® Snack Rack Ribs for Perimeter –Variable/Fixed Weight Meat
- Health Magazine America’s Healthiest Buys
- Natural Choice® cracked black pepper turkey selected as a winner
- Progressive Grocer Editors Picks
- Hormel Foods a winner for: Hormel® pepperoni stix and cheese; Lloyd’s® Snack Rack St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs; Lloyd’s Woodfire BarbequeTM pulled chicken and shredded beef brisket; Hormel® Compleats® Kids
- Women’s Health Magazine’s 125 Best Packaged Foods for Women
- Hormel Foods a winner for Meats/Seafood category: Jennie-O Turkey Store® Oven ReadyTM boneless skinless turkey breast and Hormel® Always Tender® Teriyaki-Flavored Pork Loin Filet
- IoPP AmeriStar Package Awards
- Hormel® Real Crumbled Bacon E-Z Zip pouch honored
- Barron’s 500
- Hormel Foods ranked #119 overall
- Hormel Foods received a B in CFROI 3 year Median
- Hormel Foods received a B in CFROI 2010 vs. Median
- Hormel Foods received a C in Sales Growth
- Hormel Foods received a GPA of 2.67
- Financial Times FT 500
- Hormel Foods ranked #416 on US list (up from #421 in 2010)
- Forbes Global 2000
- Hormel Foods ranked #1218
- Fortune 500
- Hormel Foods ranked #325 overall
- Hormel Foods ranked #11 in the Food Consumer Products Industry
- CR Magazine’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens
- Hormel Foods ranked #30, with an average weighted score of 105.935
- Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- Hormel Foods scored a total of 67 (up from 64 in 2010)
- Food Engineering magazine’s Most Sustainable Plant of the Year
- Progressive Processing awarded Fabulous Food Plant of 2011
- Justmeans Social Innovation Award
- Hormel Foods recognized as a finalist in Best Online Report category for 2009 Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report
- Newsweek Green Rankings
- Hormel Foods ranked #429 (up from #442 in 2010) Within the Food, Beverage and Tobacco sector, Hormel Foods ranked #21 (down from #17 in the sector in 2010)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Business Civic Leadership Center’s Corporate Citizenship Awards
- Hormel Foods a finalist in Best Corporate Steward Category
- MarCom Awards
- Platinum Award in Annual Report/CSR category for Hormel Foods 2010 CR Report
- Gold Award in Website/Other category for Hormel Foods Recipe Website
- Gold Award in Magazine Placement category for National Provisioner Inside Hormel Foods August Issue Supplement
- MerComm Arc Awards
- Bronze Award in Interactive Annual Report: Food and Consumer Packaged Goods category for Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report
- MerComm iNova Awards
- Silver Award in Food & Recipes category for Hormel Foods Recipe Website
- Bronze Award in On-Line Annual Reports: Food Consumer Packaged Goods category for Hormel Foods 2010 CR Report
- Honors in Careers/Recruitment – Corporation category for Hormel Foods Recruitment Video
- MN PRSA Classics
- Winner in the Special Purpose Publication category for the 2009 Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report
- Finalist in the Institutional Programs (Business/Industry) category for the overall corporate image program for Hormel Foods
- PCC Trumpet Awards
- Silver Trumpet Award in the Marketing category for “Leveraging a Progressive New Plant”
- Silver Trumpet Award in the Corporate/Annual Reports category for “Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report”
- Silver Trumpet Award in the Website category for “Hormel Foods Alums Website”
- PRNews CSR Awards
- Recognized in Honorable Mention category for “Leveraging a Progressive New Plant”
- PR News Platinum PR Awards
- Platinum PR Award in the Green PR category for “Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Communications at Hormel Foods”
- PRSA Chicago Skyline Awards
- Award of Excellence in Reputation/Brand Management category for “Enhancing the Corporate Image of Hormel Foods”
- SABRE Awards
- Bronze SABRE Winner in the Annual Report category for 2009 Hormel Foods Corporate Responsibility Report
- Bronze SABRE Certificate of Excellence in Website category for Spam.com website